electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » News... » Miscellaneous News
Jürgen Haible is dead
Page 6 of 8 [190 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
djxpat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm still in shock like so many others. Jürgen answered so many of my questions of the years though mailing lists, forums and directly over email. He was always patient and offered advice that would not simply give you an answer, but knowledge. He shared knowledge beginners like me never had. But the more I talked with experienced designers, the more I realized what a force he was in analog design and engineering. And yet he was never too out-of-reach that he wouldn't comment on some food pictures I'd post on Facebook. I still have a few unpopulated boards of his design left to assemble. Makes me sad that there won't be new designs coming from him, though I was waiting a log time for him to finish debugging the vocoder. Though I never met Jürgen in person, he felt like a friend and a mentor. I tried not to bother him too much with personal emails. And yet when I would post general questions, he was often the one answering them.

I'm truly sad that the world is losing such a great designer, a pillar of SDIY. But I feel worse for his family, worse for his children who have lost their father. He died far too young. But he sure made a big splash in life.

Rest in Peace, Jürgen. You will never be forgotten.
-Erik
de_engineered

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oldcrow wrote:
From now on I will place an ichthys on every board I make (synth related or not), in tribute to JH. It really feels to me like I've lost a brother that I suddenly can't talk to anymore.

Crow
/**/

Amen.

DaLuke

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: J.H. may you rest in peace
Subject description: Condoleances
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My simpathy goes to Jurgen's family...the world has lost a truly great man!
A sad year for me...
frenchyinmunich

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Juergen Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I can understand de-engineered's reaction...

It reminds me a situation which happened in 2000 on the AH mailling list...
It was the famous eclipse and some people over reacted to a situation where Mr Doepfer was involved... He got troubles to his eyes in looking the eclipse...

Juergen was quite involved in a subject concerning Doepfer designs... And when some people over reacted against Doepfer in a REALLY bad way, Juergen like other people felt embarrassed because they were mixed with that reaction of the guy (nothing to do with de-engineering.... Please understand this too). The guy was was totally silly.

All of that to say:

1) Old Crow was a really good friend to Juergen. Understand this please...

2) The important thing to us today is to keep the PCB available to the people interested.
In a certain way It keeps an homage to someone who let's say came into the synth legend. And also, keeps in a certain way Juergen alive.

3) In addition, I think we are all interested to get these great modules.
And that the money goes to the family, children. Concerning the religion aspects I will clarify that... Until now, I am really into not religion...
If you understand what I mean... Only a usual common catholic.

4) It could be possible to create one or two PCB production (batch) per year and in between, to maintain an ordering list.
Like that, nobody has to work like crazy all the year.

5) To my taste, it is better that someone here in Germany takes care of the PCB production (ordering/shipping) like it was the last few years. If it would be somewhere else, the files have to be transferred (if it is still possible to edit them etc...).

6) Keeping the production here would be ONLY an administrative topic. The family would have to say to the company: I allow Mr "QWERTY" to ask you the production of the PCBs "X" "Y" "Z". The money is taken from this account "123456789".

People pay before, like it was, the money goes to this "123456789" account and the "only" job here would be (ordering/sending) to set the PCBs into the boxes and send them to the interested people, 1 time every 6 months.

7) It is EXTREMLY EASY. Like that, the family has in addition a TOTAL access/CONTROL to the gain and can manage the money like they want.

8 ) It would be possible to give the control of the money flow to Juergen's brother... For sure, if he is agree...

9) Like that it could work very quickly and cost nothing else in addition...
Taxes, and unnecessary shipping neither double taxes...

10) I am very sad to have lost Juergen... Trying to help for this PCB production, costless, without any interest except to have the pleasure to enjoy the nice sounding module with a thinking to Juergen is only the important benefit I want for this.

de_engineered wrote:
oldcrow wrote:
From now on I will place an ichthys on every board I make (synth related or not), in tribute to JH. It really feels to me like I've lost a brother that I suddenly can't talk to anymore.

Crow
/**/

Amen.
SubG (deactivated)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes i agree with that salut

Files should be locked at manufacture,no one should have acces to the files except owner,production release with agreement from the owner ,and manufacturer should report quantity of produced boards each time to the owner,only this way the owner can properly monitor production VS Sales VS funds that coming in.

No abuse possible then,over time..
unterbit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heavy...very heavy! It took me a year how to rightly spell his name Jurgen Haible,now even my dogs seems knows it.Isin't obvious or don't we notice how often providence taking apart most talented,generous and as rule extremely creative man so fast !this fact is so big misterious but frightfully reiterative!Dark November..he foresee though ..Rest in pease man,we will make your designs on Bread boards....
v8pete

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very saddened and shocked to learn of Jurgen’s passing. The standard of his work, and his sheer productivity was a great inspiration to me and many others. As someone else has commented, he had that exceptionally rare blend of qualities, being hugely talented at analogue design, highly creative all-round and with the manual craft skills to produce flawless, beautiful work. I send my deepest condolences to Jurgen’s family, as I also know personally what it is like to loose one’s father at a young age. I really do hope that something can be put in place which can assist Jurgen’s family in some financial way – I would be glad, as I am sure would many others, to contribute.

Pete
LektroiD

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked Sad
Synthfool

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would like to say something and realize that it may not be a popular or agreed point of view, but I think it's extremely important to be said.

JH had a full time job.
This means that the time he had to do his DIY creations would either be in the early morning (doubtful), after work or on weekends (more likely.)

When one endeavors to make creations as complex as what JH did, they take a lot of time.
A LOT of time.

It would be imprudent for me to speculate on why he was getting a divorce, but I will do so anyway.
In my opinion, he simply didn't have enough time to share with his family and children.
This likely caused the divorce and possible depression on everyone's part.

So while many here are saying great things about JH and I agree they are deserved, while the DIY community gained, his family lost.
There's simply not enough hours in a day to work a full time job, create complex inventions or copies (his living VCOs are almost an exact copy of the later Minimoog VCOs) and spend quality time with one's family.

For this reason, I believe that ALL donations should go directly to his wife and children.
They were the ones who suffered his absence while he did the work he's being lauded for.

Flame me if you'd like, but please consider what I've written first.
It takes a LOT of time to do this kind of work and if you have a full time job, the only hours available will likely not be ones spent with your family.
I've seen enough relationships and families torn apart by people's love for synths and in my mind anyway, this is a example of what can happen.
florian_anwander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Juergen Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Frenchyinmunich,

I support basically all your suggestions.

@Harry_W: Do you know Juergens brother? Would he accept to handle parts of the organizational and juridical tasks around the succession for Juergens parttime business?

@all:
I think there is already an established distribution for Juergens designs. This should be kept up, as you never should interrupt an established distribution channel. But this channel might be extended.

I basically like the idea to get Rudi Linhard involved - if he wants to. He lives close to Nuremberg, he is similar minded (in respect of synths) as Juergen, and he is experienced with making a synth related parttime business.

Another suggestion for my side, would be: Fonik (if he wants to), although he lives not close to Nuremberg. But he is doing an established business for module kits, and is experienced in handling all the tasks around this business.

Florian Anwander

lambshain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Synthfool wrote:
I would like to say something and realize that it may not be a popular or agreed point of view, but I think it's extremely important to be said.

JH had a full time job.
This means that the time he had to do his DIY creations would either be in the early morning (doubtful), after work or on weekends (more likely.)

When one endeavors to make creations as complex as what JH did, they take a lot of time.
A LOT of time.

It would be imprudent for me to speculate on why he was getting a divorce, but I will do so anyway.
In my opinion, he simply didn't have enough time to share with his family and children.

So while many here are saying great things about JH and I agree they are deserved, while the DIY community gained, his family lost.
There's simply not enough hours in a day to work a full time job, create complex inventions or copies (his living VCOs are almost an exact copy of the later Minimoog VCOs) and spend quality time with one's family.

For this reason, I believe that ALL donations should go directly to his wife and children.
They were the ones who suffered his absence while he did the work he's being lauded for.

Flame me if you'd like, but please consider what I've written first.
It takes a LOT of time to do this kind of work and if you have a full time job, the only hours available will likely not be ones spent with your family.
I've seen enough relationships and families torn apart by people's love for synths and in my mind anyway, this is a example of what can happen.

his passion for inventions, made him share his wonderful god given

personality, i ve seen these kind of passion often been carried in the

families together, but sometimes not. yes, it s not easy to put family

priorities in right there and it s good to examin ourself, in the end we do

not know what really happened. he gave so much to others, i think it

would be so good if there s a possibility to bless his family, and keep his

work alive.

Last edited by lambshain on Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
/mr

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Such a terribly sad week... Sad I'm almost out of words, but many very very good and thoughtful things have been said about Jürgen here in the forum and in mailing lists. He released new ideas faster than my building pace, and had too good constructions to not buy - so I have some backlog. I will build my remaining 5-10 JH boards with respect and great motivation.

I really hope that some good solution can be found where JH's designs can live on, and give all the earned money to his children. They have lost their father, and there's no need to speculate about their situation or estimate just how much they need support and why. It's easy: They lost their father, they need all support they can get.

Synthfool wrote:
JH had a full time job.

Not quite full time:

jhaible wrote:
Friday, the day in the week that I'm not at Siemens but working for my own company, was my son's 9th birthday - not much soldering. I resist the temptation to do much work on Sundays, so there is not much progress for the vocoder this week. Smile
JH.
(Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:39 pm in the Haible Vokoder thread, http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-25702.html )

But working with these many serious projects just one day a week is not much either. As always, priorities will have to be made between work, family, personal well-being, social life, and a serious hobby. Personally I think the biggest problem in the world of today is that people spend too much time at work - and show way too little interest in the society around them. Those of you still working 20th century style, 5 full days a week, should seriously consider working less. If your employer says no, it doesn't mean that you can't work less - it just means that your employer is less attractive than the other employers. Keep trying. Just imagine what you could accomplish if you had more time for things you find most important. Just look at Jürgen. Smile
SubG (deactivated)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Synthfool wrote:

it seems he gave up completely his work at siemens for private reasons

the diy thing became just something on the sides...

and yes family should take now all the profit out of the great work HE did.
Harry_W

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Juergen Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

florian_anwander wrote:

@Harry_W: Do you know Juergens brother? Would he accept to handle parts of the organizational and juridical tasks around the succession for Juergens parttime business?

@all:
I think there is already an established distribution for Juergens designs. This should be kept up, as you never should interrupt an established distribution channel. But this channel might be extended.

I basically like the idea to get Rudi Linhard involved - if he wants to. He lives close to Nuremberg, he is similar minded (in respect of synths) as Juergen, and he is experienced with making a synth related parttime business.

Another suggestion for my side, would be: Fonik (if he wants to), although he lives not close to Nuremberg. But he is doing an established business for module kits, and is experienced in handling all the tasks around this business.

Florian Anwander

Yes, I know Jurgen's brother, but not personally. We met on the funeral, and he contacted me per PM here, probably because he knew that I initiated the "Jürgen Haible is dead" thread here.

I will talk to him hopefully this evening, and if he is willing to discuss with me all the options that were suggested here, I can surely say more tomorrow.

I have also a PM conversation with fonik, who started a thread in his own forum area http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-50913.html.
He is planning to build an improved version of the WASP VCF clone based on his own PCB layout, and to pass about 5 EUR per piece to Jurgen's family. He has already got a lot of pre-orders, so I think this is a good idea to start with, and I will also ask Jurgen's brother Thomas for a permission from his family.

Florian, I do not know Rudi and whether he was willing to join in such a business. Could you give me some contact information, or have you already talked to him? On the other hand, I have no idea what dimensions (in number of shipments, turnover and proceeds) Jurgen's business had. As far as I understood, fonik would possibly also like to take over some of the JH PCB designs.

I totally agree in what Florian said about the distribution channels. Hopefully, Jurgen had documented everything (component suppliers, customers, ...) to be easy enough to follow.

I have the (bad) feeling that thing start to take on a life on their own. Somebody already registered the domain jhaible.com and mirrored Jurgen's complete homepage (which may have been done with good intentions, but legally it is an offense). Many side-channels spread up where plans are made and actions are taken, seemingly without notice or even permission of Jurgens family.

We should therefore clear the legal points first (respecting the rights of the family) and then make plans. I would prefer to have a single "negotiation partner" on Haible's side, that is his brother. I would take over the first talks with him. I am not keen on leading all these actions, because I also have a full-time job and family, and I am not familiar with Jurgen's business at all. If someone else, preferably in Germany, could take over coordination and communication between the interest groups later on, I would not mind. But for the time being it is better to wait for some decisions to be made in Nuremberg. Being rather close to this city, and being in a rather neutral position as a dummy in synth-DIY, I would offer to volunteer in initiating some things and having the first talks with the family.

Best regards,
Harry
frenchyinmunich

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Juergen PCBs Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Juergen's familly doesn't need many persons to do these PCBs ordering and distribution. ONLY one is neccessary.

IT IS ALWAYS POSSIBLE TO COMPLICATE A PROCESS... I AM MORE INTERESTED TO A SIMPLIFIED ONE.

AND I INSIST NOBODY HAVING ALREADY A BUSINESS into synth.
ONLY ONE BENEVOL PEOPLE IS NECESSARY IF YOU DON'T WANT TO PAY MORE THAT NECESSARY COSTS NEITHER ADDITIONAL COSTS.

I discribed a simple way to allwo Juergen Familly provide to us some PCB.

BE AWARE: IF THE IDEA GO IN EVERY DIRECTIONS AND JUGING THINGS IN WHICH WE HAVE NOTHING TO DO... BE AWARE THAT WE WON'T GET ANY PCB ANYMORE...

Would be probalbly more interesting to a company to buy the Juergen rights...
frenchyinmunich

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: HARRY Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Harry,

Rudi knows me since around also 18 years... We had meeting organised with Juergen...
Harry_W

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SubG wrote:
Synthfool wrote:

it seems he gave up completely his work at siemens for private reasons

the diy thing became just something on the sides...

and yes family should take now all the profit out of the great work HE did.

SubG, as far as I know it was just the other way round. The PCB business took more and more space in his professional life, that's why he could reduce his other engagements, only working 4 days a week at Siemens. He was happy to have enough spare time by this to see his children every 14 days for the weekend.

I would really plead with everyone of you for keeping speculations about his private life and especially his marriage for yourself. Jurgen is dead, this is sad enough, but all the others involved in his life are still alive. Please respect the privacy of these people, may it be his relatives, children, wife, or friends.

As for the religious aspects:
If you really want to honour the work and committment of Jurgen in your community (as you said so in many of your condolences), you should also honour his belief, no matter if you would agree to it or not. As far as I knew Jurgen, he drew much of his energy and the way he dealt with other people from this spiritual attitude, even if he did not shout it from the rooftops. In one way or the other all of those who benefitted from Jurgen also benefitted from his belief.

I am deeply convinced that Jurgen would not have liked to have a religious discussion or flaming started here.

Regards,
Harry
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Juergen Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Harry_W wrote:
As far as I understood, fonik would possibly also like to take over some of the JH PCB designs.

no. missunderstanding, sorry. i have my own business running, the wasp is the only thing i could/would handle...

thank you again, harry, for doing all this.

Harry_W

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Juergen PCBs Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

frenchyinmunich wrote:
Juergen's familly doesn't need many persons to do these PCBs ordering and distribution. ONLY one is neccessary.

IT IS ALWAYS POSSIBLE TO COMPLICATE A PROCESS... I AM MORE INTERESTED TO A SIMPLIFIED ONE.

AND I INSIST NOBODY HAVING ALREADY A BUSINESS into synth.
ONLY ONE BENEVOL PEOPLE IS NECESSARY IF YOU DON'T WANT TO PAY MORE THAT NECESSARY COSTS NEITHER ADDITIONAL COSTS.

I discribed a simple way to allwo Juergen Familly provide to us some PCB.

Francois brings it to the point. I understand that you all have the best intentions and good will to keep Jurgen's legacy alive (first to the honour of Jurgen, second to support his family, third to make also future DIYers benefit from his work), and I am very grateful for this. But an internet forum is - for the time being - a very bad place to make decisions. Too many opinions, too few knowledge, too few people (currently zero) from the family involved.

Please keep you hands down for some days. Remember that Jurgen has been found dead only 11 days ago, and was buried only 5 days ago.

Please keep your reverence in the face of death and with respect to a family who is still in their days of mourning.

frenchyinmunich wrote:

BE AWARE: IF THE IDEA GO IN EVERY DIRECTIONS AND JUGING THINGS IN WHICH WE HAVE NOTHING TO DO... BE AWARE THAT WE WON'T GET ANY PCB ANYMORE...

Would be probalbly more interesting to a company to buy the Juergen rights...

Jurgens brother Thomas joined as a member of e-m.com and will surely read this thread. Up do now, I have no idea yet how he is inclined, and how much he knows about Jurgens business.

I think the latter Francois said will not happen, if nobody of the family actively pursued it. The margins are short in such a business, as I was told. Therefore, Jurgen only rarely dedicated his designs to a certain company, but rather spread them in this community.

Regards,
Harry
Harry_W

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Juergen Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
Harry_W wrote:
As far as I understood, fonik would possibly also like to take over some of the JH PCB designs.

no. missunderstanding, sorry. i have my own business running, the wasp is the only thing i could/would handle...

thank you again, harry, for doing all this.

OK, sorry for this misconception Rolling Eyes . But nevertheless, the WASP thing is already a good thing to start with.

Regards,
Harry
oldcrow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I will not participate in this discussion beyond the fact I know certain things--confided to me by JH himself--about his life, especially these later years. Thus, anything I do in his name I am doing in the full and comfortable knowledge it is what he would have wanted. That said, I have no real interest in selling his work, only preserving it.

Crow
/**/

SubG (deactivated)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i throw this in for the one that may take over.

all files of Jurgen's pcb's are cataloged at Olimex.

so technicaly speaking the one that take over the care to let manufacture
the pcb's need zero knowledge of anything related to printed circuit boards.

btw,something should be done fast for that fake site..

Harry,Remember with all respect in first instance this is a DiY forum,so it was difficult to exclude the start of a discussion on this forum who could take over the pcb business.

Final decissions will anyway be discused in private so.
Mongo1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
btw,something should be done fast for that fake site..

the new site is registered through GoDaddy.com by someone named Scott Rider. I may be wrong, but I think that is none other than OldCrow.

Thanks
Gary
SubG (deactivated)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Harry_W wrote:

SubG, as far as I know it was just the other way round. The PCB business took more and more space in his professional life, that's why he could reduce his other engagements, only working 4 days a week at Siemens. He was happy to have enough spare time by this to see his children every 14 days for the weekend.

Regards,
Harry

Dear, Jurgen wrote himself in the forum that he had less time for his pcb designs and was not sure to continue with it.
So its not the pcb business that took more space but his other things he was buzzy with,anyway..
Mongo1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Gang,

Can we please stop speculating about Jurgen's work habits, family life etc? None of us know the facts, or what was in his heart. Continued discussion in this area is in very poor taste.

We are here to preserve his memory and his work. So let's stick to that.

Thanks
Gary
Page 6 of 8 [190 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Miscellaneous News
Jump to: